Research is out there that recommends a healthy lifestyle in order to take a proactive approach to debilitating disease like as Alzheimer's. 8 hours sleep, less sugar, healthy fats and remaining active both physically and mentally are all things in our control and will lower your chances of developing the disease.
Here are 10 foods you should add into your diet that can help improve your mind:
1. Leafy greens. Some ideas: kale, spinach, collard and mustard greens. These foods are high in folate and B9, which improve cognition and reduce depression.
2. Cruciferous vegetables. Broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, brussels sprouts and kale contain folate and have cartenoids that lower homo-cysteine (an amino acid linked with cognitive impairment).
3. Beans and legumes. These foods contain more folate, iron, magensium and potassium that can help with general body function and neuron firing. They also contain choline, a B vitamin that boosts acetylcholine (a neuro transmitter critical for brain function).
4. Whole grains. Good bets include quinoa, kammut and gluten-free oats (not bread and cereal)
5. Berries and cherries. These fruits contain anthocyanin that protects the brain from further damage caused by free radicals. They also have anti-inflammatory properties and contain antioxidants and lots of vitamin C and E.
6. Pumpkin, squash, asparagus, tomatoes, carrots and beets. These vegetables, if not overcooked, contain vitamin A, folate and iron that help with cognition.
7. Omega 3s. People whose diets contain daily omega 3s have been shown to have 26% less risk of having brain lesions that cause dementia compared with those who do not. These fatty acids help the brain to stay in top shape. You can get your omega fatty acids from fish, flax seeds, olive oil (not safflower) or by taking a good quality omega 3 supplement.
8. Almonds, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts and pecans. All of these nuts contain omega-3s and omega-6s, vitamin E, folate, vitamin B6 and magnesium.
9. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. These seeds contain zinc, choline and vitamin E.
10. Cinnamon, sage, tumeric and cumin. Theses spices can all help to break up brain plaque and reduce inflammation of the brain which can cause memory issues. In addition to eating the foods listed above, you’ll want to decrease the risk of illnesses that can make your brain age such as obesity, heart disease, diabetes and hypertension.
Other things to avoid are the toxins in your food, water, soil and environment, unnecessary stress, caffeine, sugar, drugs, alcohol and sugar.
Encourage healthy decisions, conscientiousness, positive peer groups, a clean environment, exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, 8 hours of sleep, stress management and gratitude for your life.
These are all areas that we cover on our corporate programme via our Zest! portal.
Email us for an informal chat ...... email@example.com
What Our Clients Are Saying
“We really value the help of these guys. We are not wellness experts and it was great to be able to get Best Zest on board and help us plan and shape our wellness strategy for the next three years. They have implemented many initiatives for us and it has been really well received amongst the workforce. The guys at Best Zest really do care about getting everyone involved and ensuring that the workforce is motivated and interested in their own well-being."
"Workforce Wellness is not something we had considered before, however as the company has grown, the challenges of an increasing workforce has also grown. We were aware that we needed to start thinking about our responsibilities towards our employees but had no idea where to start! Well being within organisations is becoming a more recognised necessity and we are very happy that we have seized the opportunity to get on board now and implement changes. We want to attract talent to our organisation and proud to be able to state that we value and look after our teams."
"We have seen a very keen and genuine interest from our staff with regards to taking positive steps towards a healthier lifestyle and this has led to a culture shift within the company generally. No longer is there a stigma with regards to making healthier choices in the workplace and our workforce have confidence in making changes and sharing their tips and experiences to other colleagues. The online portal ZEST is fantastic and a great place for employees to learn about health and wellness and participate in reward led challenges to really make a difference in their daily lifestyle choices."
"There is a real vibrant buzz around the workplace since working with Best Zest. Thanks for your support Best Zest.”